This curried cauliflower sweet potato soup is really easy to make in under 30 minutes, is budget-friendly and full of beautiful flavours like coconut and lime. It’s also great to make ahead of time as the flavours only improve after a day or two after it’s made.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these creamy and delicious curried soup:
- Onion and garlic. Soup basics that add flavour.
- Spices. You’ll need curry powder to add the curry flavour to the soup. I also added some red pepper flakes for a bit of heat but they’re optional.
- Coconut milk. I went with full-fat coconut milk for a rich and creamy base.
- Vegetable broth. Any kind of bouillon powder, cubes or carton broth works. Homemade is great too!
- Sweet potato and cauliflower. The two veggie-stars of the soup!
- Green peas. I stirred in green peas at the end for some texture and colour. They’re optional but I love the little bites of peas in there!
This soup is very easy to make. Let’s go through the steps.
Saute the Onion and Garlic
You’ll start by sautéing the onions and garlic, then stirring in the curry powder. I used a few splashes of vegetable broth to sauté but you can use a bit of coconut or olive oil if you like.
After you’ve cooked the onions and garlic for a few minutes, stir in the curry powder. If the pot dries out at anytime, just add another splash of broth.
Add the sweet potato, cauliflower, broth and coconut milk
Next, add the chopped sweet potato, cauliflower, broth and coconut milk. Simmer away until everything is tender then carefully add the soup to a blender and puree until smooth.
The blended soup can go back into the pot before you add the peas, lime and sugar.
Light or Full-Fat Coconut Milk?
I used full-fat coconut milk in this recipe so it’s a littler high in fat than if you were to use light coconut milk. If you’d like to reduce the calories per serving and amount of fat in the recipe, you can go ahead and make that substitution.
Cauliflower Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Fragrant, rich, creamy and so full of flavour you’ll have this soup on repeat through the fall and winter months. Coconut milk and curry combine perfectly with sweet potato and cauliflower and the lime and coconut sugar add a hint of sweetness and citrus that only makes its better.
You can have this on the table in about 30 minutes, making it totally doable for a weeknight dinner. You might just have all the ingredients on hand and ready to go already!
Try it served with a drizzle of cashew cream.
- For low-fat soup, use light coconut milk instead of full-fat coconut milk.
- For a low-carb soup, use carrot instead of sweet potato.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
Loving this curried cauliflower soup recipe? You might like these too:
- Cauliflower Potato Soup with Peas
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Garlic Cauliflower Soup
- Kale and Cauliflower Soup
- 1 large white onion, diced (about 3 cups or 400 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2–1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, add spiciness)
- 1 14 oz. can full-fat coconut milk (sub light for low-fat soup)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (4 cups, 450 g)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, chopped (5 cups, 500 g)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar or coconut sugar (sub brown sugar)
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen (170 g)
- Cook the garlic and onions in a couple tablespoons of the vegetable stock for 5-6 minutes over medium heat. Stir often.
- Stir in the curry powder and red pepper flakes and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add more broth as needed if the pan starts to dry out.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable stock, sweet potato, sugar, lime and cauliflower.
- Simmer lightly, uncovered, until the sweet potato is cooked through and very soft, approximately 15-20 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Carefully transfer the soup to a blender and processor until smooth then pour back into the pot. Alternatively, use an immersion blender right in the pot.
- Stir in the green peas and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve right away topped with fresh cilantro and another spritz of lime juice, if desired.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
Keywords: sweet potato soup, easy, healthy, vegetarian, plant-based, curry
This recipe was originally published May 21, 2014. It was updated September 2019 with new photos and improved instructions.