Easy White Bean Soup with soothing lemon, veggies, rosemary, thyme and tahini is healthy and easy to make using everyday ingredients that you probably already have on hand! It’s full of nutrition, flavor and is amazingly delicious!
Don’t let the minimal ingredients in this soup fool you, this vegan white bean soup is so full of deliciousness. Plus, it’s well-balanced, full of healthy protein & fiber, and can be made oil-free!
The hearty texture, subtle combination of flavors and yummy creaminess from the tahini will leave you wanting more. It’s a perfect pantry friendly soup that has it all!
This white bean soup is very similar to this highly rated, fan favorite Lemon Chickpea Orzo Soup, which uses pasta, spinach and dill. I simplified the recipe and changed the herbs, but it’s still just as delicious!
So without further ado, let’s make soup!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this quick and easy recipe, onion, carrots, celery and garlic are sauteed, then simmered with white beans, herbs and tahini creating a wholesome and healthy soup that’s perfect for a satisfying vegan lunch, dinner or meal prep idea.
Here is everything you will need, plus ingredient variations:
- white beans – cannellini or great northern beans are preferred, but chickpeas will work too. Even a combo is great!
- onion – brown or white
- carrots – I used 3 large carrots for extra heartiness
- celery – feel free to add in a few celery leaves as well
- garlic – sub with 1 teaspoon garlic paste or garlic powder
- thyme + rosemary – dried is fine, but fresh is great too
- tahini – adds a nice flavor and creaminess, sub with cashew butter (can be optional)
- vegetable broth – I used ½ teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Veg Base (affiliate link) with water.
- lemon – use lemon for the soup and the other for garnish and squeezing into serving bowl.
- salt + pepper – to taste
How To Make White Bean Soup
(Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
- In a large pot, heat oil or water over medium heat, add onion, carrots, and celery, saute for 7 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and rosemary and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the white beans, vegetable broth, and salt + pepper.
- Give a good stir, add the tahini, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover askew, and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and let cool a bit before serving (shown below). The broth will thicken upon standing. Season with more salt, pepper or herbs as desired.
And now all you have to do is enjoy this healthy, luscious soup!
How To Store Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container.
- Freezer: This white bean soup is freezer friendly and freezes well for up to 2 – 3 months. To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe containers (affiliate link), leaving ½ inch head space for expansion. You can also freeze larger portions in large ziplock bags (remove as much air as possible before zip locking). Let thaw before reheating.
- Reheat: Simply re-warm on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through. Alternatively, reheat in the microwave using 30 – 60 second intervals, stirring after each, until warm.
- Bread: Serve with homemade Artisan Bread, soft and chewy Vegan Naan or gluten-free Socca flatbread to soak up the juices.
- Salad: Serve with House Salad, Cobb Salad, Vegan Caesar Salad, Green Salad + Tahini Dressing, or simple leafy green salad with Vegan Ranch or Healthy Flax & Evo Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Toppings: Add a small handful of Crispy Roasted Chickpeas, Coconut Bacon , crumbled Crisp Baked Kale Chips, or vegan croutons for added texture.
- Veggies and dip: Pair with a side of veggie sticks with Vegan Ranch, Ranch Hemp Dressing or Tahini Miso Dip, Classic Hummus or White Bean Hummus.
- Dessert: End your meal with these easy Almond Flour Thumbprint Cookies, slice of No-Bake Raspberry Vegan Cheesecake, or 3 minute Banana Coconut Ginger Ice Cream.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Lemon Chickpea Orzo Soup
- Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Vegetable Quinoa Soup
- Rustic Cabbage, Potato + White Bean Soup
- Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Garlic Miso Soup with Greens
- Hearty Vegan Lentil Soup
If you try this white bean soup or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.
EASY LEMON ROSEMARY WHITE BEAN SOUP
Soothing and wholesome, this hearty white bean soup with lemon, herbs and veggies is healthy, full of flavor and a soup you’ll want to make again and again! Quick and easy recipe, ready in 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 – 6 1x
- Category: Soup, Entree
- Method: simmer
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or ¼ cup water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, sliced or diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon EACH dried thyme + rosemary
- 3 cans (15oz) white beans (cannellini, great northern or chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 4 – 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- 1 – 2 lemons, juice of 1
- salt + pepper
- fresh chopped parsley, to serve
Saute: In a large pot, heat oil or water over medium heat, add onion, carrots, and celery, saute for 7 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and rosemary and cook 1 minute more.
Simmer: Add the white beans, vegetable broth, tahini, and salt + pepper, give a good stir, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover askew, and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add lemon: Remove from heat, add lemon juice and let cool a bit before serving. The broth will thicken upon standing. Season with more salt, pepper or herbs as desired.
Serves 4 – 6
Serve in individual bowls with fresh parsley and squeeze of lemon. Add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a little heat.
Pairs well with homemade Artisan Bread and side Classic House Salad.
Store: Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days. For longer storage, keep in the freezer for up to 2 – 3 months. Let thaw before reheating.
Feel free to use fresh cooked beans, using about 4 ½ cups. If cooking beans, 2 cups of dried beans, about 1 lb., will yield just the right amount for this soup.
For added color and nutritions, add a handful or two of baby spinach or kale to the soup towards the end of cooking.
Thicken the soup even more by mashing some of the white beans with the back of a spoon for added creaminess.
Keywords: white bean soup, white bean soup recipe